The CDC has implemented additions to the ICD-10-CM that are effective Jan. 1, 2021 for conditions
resulting from COVID-19. The new codes aim to provide easier monitoring and tracking of COVID-19
through the claims process.
“There is an ongoing and urgent need to capture more information about this condition in our
surveillance data and the nation’s health care claims,” the CDC said in a press release announcing the
- Encounter for screening for COVID-19 (Z11.52)
- Contact with and (suspected) exposure to COVID-19 (Z20.822)
- Personal History of COVID-19 (Z86.16)
- Multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS) (M35.81)
- Other specified systemic involvement of connective tissue (M35.89)
- Pneumonia due to coronavirus disease 2019 (J12.82)
ICD-10-CM interim coding guidance can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd10cm.htm. If
you’re seeking additional guidance on how to utilize these new diagnosis codes, don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly.